Dear Members and supporters,
The British Chamber of Commerce in Korea (BCCK) is a leading international and local business forum in Korea open to British, Korean and international enterprises. We organise a busy, high value programme of events and activities, both business and social, to help you and your company grow and flourish. All our activities are dedicated to building networks, connecting companies and creating opportunities for our members.
The Chamber’s mission is to:
- Raise the profile of British business in Korea;
- Facilitate the development of our members’ business interests in Korea;
- Provide an all-encompassing market entry advice service to British companies seeking to enter the Korean marketplace;
- Assist Korean companies that are considering entering the British marketplace or making investments into the British economy;
- Work closely with the British Embassy and the Department for International Trade (DIT) to better support our members’ interests;
- Promote members’ interests with relevant government and business bodies in both Korea and Britain;
- Foster strong relationships with the Korean government and business leaders in order to promote British business in Korea in the post-Brexit era; and
- Provide information, preferential purchase schemes and other services which bring measurable value to members.
We held our Annual General Meeting on Friday, February 10, 2017, to report our performance and activities during 2016 to our members and, as is required by our Constitution, elected the new Executive Committee. We were honoured to be joined by His Excellency Charles Hay, British Ambassador to South Korea.
At our first Executive Committee meeting of 2017, held on February 21, your Chamber officers were appointed:
- Chairman: Steve Duckworth
- Vice Chairman: Paul D’Arcy
- Vice Chairman/Treasurer: Daniel Fertig
- Trustee: Alex Jun
- Auditor: Richard Southall
I am honoured and delighted to have been elected as Chairman of BCCK and greatly look forward to working with the Executive Committee and all members to make 2017 a memorable year of growth, business development and enjoyment within the Chamber.
My main objectives this year are to work with the Executive Committee to ensure the Chamber continues to promote British interests by supporting British enterprises entering the Korean market, enhancing our business partnerships with British companies established in Korea, further developing our efforts around Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and promoting strong and lasting relationships with the Korean Government and business associations. We will continue to work closely with the British Embassy in Seoul and the Department for International Trade of the British Government as the best way to effectively raise our profile.
With respect to our CSR activities, in early 2016 the BCCK added the Chevening Scholarship programme to our ongoing support of the Jeon Jin Sang Center. The Chevening Scholarship programme offers a unique opportunity for selected Korean students to develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture and build lifelong positive relationships with the UK.
With respect to our events, our two flagship events, the Queen’s Birthday Ball and Christmas Lunch, will be complemented by a strong programme of networking and business-focused events in 2017. We are well known for our popular networking events like our cocktail evenings, pub nights and networking nights. This year’s calendar will include more breakfast workshops focused on increasing knowledge of the Korean business environment among our members and giving them a chance to voice concerns and suggestions to the governments of both the UK and Korea, particularly in the face of the post-Brexit era.
We were delighted that we were able to appoint Mr. Sean Blakeley as the Chamber’s CEO in September 2015. Sean’s enthusiasm and skills and those of the team he has assembled have added much to the Chamber’s development of events and services to British business and its members in 2016 and into 2017. The BCCK has grown considerably over the past 2 years as everyone works to both expand our services and create an improved membership experience for our members.
Myself, Sean and the BCCK team look forward very much to serving our member’s interests during the year.